Our fast-growing, production company is seeking a Cost Accountant. This position will provide the successful candidate with the opportunity to apply their knowledge, learn new skills and work as a member of a dynamic team. This position will provide us with end-of-month and end-of-year accounting tasks, as well as assist in strict regulation over the cost of materials, supplies, machinery, shipping and other processes in the plant. The ideal candidate for this role will have experience of at least 3-4 years in accounting. Additionally, the candidate for this position will be motivated to grow with Palmetto Gourmet Foods, building a career for years to come.
Cost Accountant Responsibilities:
- Adheres to company standard cost system, policies and guidelines in the plant in accordance with corporate requirements. Includes preparation of daily, weekly and monthly production reports.
- Accountable for coordinating, developing and maintaining production costs analysis, including direct labour analysis, in coordination with the Plant Manager.
- Provide operational/financial guidance to senior management on a monthly basis. Provide input into cost accounting techniques and Methodologies which aid in improving business insight and operational and financial results.
- Review and analyze inventory, yield, utility usage, labour, and margin reports; conduct research and perform analytical studies in regards to cost analyses and profitability.
- Provide recommendations regarding cost-saving strategies and ways to improve processes in achieving company standards and continuously improving costs.
- Responsible to assist plant management on various departmental initiatives while supporting the monthly accurate and timely submission and reporting of the operational and financial reports for the plant. Ensuring ongoing analysis and identifying improvement opportunities.
- Supports the plant management in the analysis of variances between actual costs occurring at the plant and standard costs, and the impact of variances on the plant’s financial performance. Reviews standards compliance and identify potential cost reduction opportunities. Provides assistance in resolving issues related to standard/direct costs
- Works with Production to investigate variances related to finished goods, products, raw materials and supplies (including maintenance) to ensure accuracy (real-time) of inventories
- In conjunction with Inventory Control Analyst, ensures accurate reporting of month-end physical counts, and supply inventories pricing
- Complies with and maintains approved corporate standard internal reporting requirements in the plant to ensure accurate information/clarity of the plant’s performance. Acts as primary contact for the plant’s financial reporting and communication
- Performs financial accounting activities (review expenditures, prepare and enter journal entries into the financial system). Complies with GAAP (Generally Accepted Accounting Principles) and company corporate capital expenditure policy
Education and Experience
- A diploma/degree in accounting or finance and related account reconciliation experience is required.
- 3 years experience of cost accounting within an integrated manufacturing environment.
- Position requires a working knowledge of Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP).
- Proficiency in MS Office applications
- Knowledge of financial/operational database programs, standards and an ERP system
- Strong analytical and communication skills
Job Type: Full-time, Permanent
Schedule: 8 Hour Shift, Monday to Friday